It is a movement that allows our students to explore their own passions and interests, and it encourages creativity in the classroom by providing students a choice in what they learn during a set period of the school week.
The Genius Hour concept is based on one of Google’s practices: they encourage that 20% of their employees’ work week be spent researching, investigating, and exploring a topic or passion of personal interest, one that is not directly tied to their job description but in line with the mission of the company.
Genius Hour empowers students to wonder, to explore, and to create; it is our job as educators to encourage critical thinking and inspire creativity—skills that are needed for the 21st century learner. It is no longer about compliantly sticking to a scheduled curriculum of memorization and recall.
Learners come alive in Genius Hour, motivation levels skyrocket, and students are completely engaged. The future belongs to creators and empathizers, pattern recognizers and meaning makers, artists, inventors, designers, storytellers, innovators, and big picture thinkers—and Genius Hour is where it can all begin. With Genius Hour, your curriculum and academic standards are easily integrated.
Fall 2017 Genius Hour
Discover how to transform your classroom into a place where students want to come in and learn—where creativity and motivation flourish.
• Meeting the needs of the 21st-century learner
• Discover the 6 elements today’s learner needs
• Setting up Genius Hour time in your classroom
• Learning the structure of Genius Hour and implementation strategies
• The research behind choice and inquiry-based education
• Why Genius Hour is important—for students and teachers
• Strategies for teaching students to explore their passions
• Bringing MOTIVATION, ENGAGEMENT, CREATIVITY, and PLAY back to the classroom
• Guiding students through the Genius Hour process
• Brainstorming with passion boards and wonder walls
• Setting up a learning environment that inspires students
• Establishing expectations and ground rules
• Teaching self-assessment through proposals and timelines
• Tracking student progress
• Managing learners at different stages of the process
• Connecting your standards and curriculum to Genius Hour
• Planning and accountability for students and teachers
• Assessing student work
• Utilizing rubrics that drive revision and feedback
You will leave this workshop with Ready-Made Lesson Plans and a Digital Bundle of Resources for easy implementation.
YOU HAVE TO MODEL WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A LEARNER
Kim Strobel is a dedicated educator who understands what teachers need. Her magnetic personality and genuine presentation style captivate audiences everywhere she goes. Her enthusiasm is contagious. You’ll love her!
The buzz sweeping the education world about Kim Strobel is real. And, it’s no surprise that teachers and administrators are lining up to see her presentations. Simply put, she’s absolutely fantastic. Not only is she a thought leader and expert in her field, but more than that, she’s deeply passionate about helping teachers make a lifelong difference in the lives of students.
Kim is so energetic and enthusiastic that she won us over from the very beginning. She is refreshing and her knowledge and ability to explain is wonderful. I left feeling motivated to reenter the classroom, and summer has just begun!
I’m telling you, this literacy trainer is awesome! If you have a chance to attend yourself and/or get teachers to go, it would be extremely worth it. I contracted with her several times when I was the professional development coordinator for the Southern Indiana Education Center, and the teachers and literacy coaches who attended couldn’t get enough of her!
Simply put, I have never worked with a consultant that so completely wins over all teachers and so quickly influences their thinking and teaching strategies